The new school was built to replace Clydebank School on Kilbowie Road. Although building work commenced in the mid-1930s, the work was delayed by the Second World War. Clydebank School was destroyed by German bombs during the Clydebank Blitz and Clydebank High School (which was still under construction) was slightly damaged when a parachute mine hit the building.
The new school opened in September 1947 but work was only finally completed in 1951 when the dining hall was opened. In 1972 the school became a comprehensive.