Council Housing Adaptations

About the service

If you, or a member of your family, are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, you can request an assessment for equipment and adaptations to make it easier for you to live independently. Adaptations include ramps, showers, door alterations, path widening and handrails.

How to apply

If you think you could be helped by the installation of an adaptation you should contact the Community Adult Team.

They will arrange for your needs to be assessed and will make recommendations to Housing if any adaptations are required.

Can all homes be adapted

The majority of adaptations can be installed in our houses although there are some properties which are unsuitable and cannot be converted to suit a tenants individual needs.  In this case you will be asked to consider moving to a more suitable house.  Our Housing Allocations will provide advice and assistance with this.